- "Stakeholders advocated [obesity] policy options that enhance individual autonomy to a greater extent than those that diminish autonomy."
- Assessing the Calorific Significance of Episodes of Human Cannibalism in the Palaeolithic.
- Monocyte Bioenergetic Function is Associated with Body Composition in Virologically Suppressed HIV-infected Women.
Headline vs Study
- Headline: Open Window at Bedtime to Avoid Obesity and Diabetes.
- Study: Association Between Diabetes Incidence or Glucose Intolerance with Higher Outdoor Temperature.
Contrary or Null Findings
- “At Least for the Medical Inpatient Setting, There Appears to Be No Evidence on a Trial Level that Industry Sponsoring Would Favorably Be Associated with (or Favorably Influence) Trial Results.”
- Raspberry Ketone Fails to Reduce Adiposity Beyond Decreasing Food Intake in C57BL/6 Mice Fed a High-fat Diet.
- RCT: "These results suggest that for type 2 diabetic patients on a hypocaloric diet, eating larger breakfast and lunch may be more efficient than six smaller meals during the day."
- RCT: "Technology aided testing with feedback does not seem to change the amount of physical activity ..."
- RCT: No Differential Effects of Whey Protein and Its Two Major Protein Components on Satiety and Food Intake in Normal-weight Women.
- RCT: "Doubling the amount of protein from 12.5 g to 25 g/meal and quadrupling fiber from 2 to 8 g/meal at breakfast was not an effective strategy for modulating insulin-mediated glucose responses in these young, overweight adults."
- "The high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet caused fatty liver in rats."
- "Although plated meal service may seem like a desirable strategy for ensuring that children eat a healthier diet, the current results did not provide support for this association."
- Patients’ Pre-operative BMI Did Not Influence the Early Outcome of Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty Patients.
- Claims of Yerba Mate as a Potent Anti-obesity Agent are Not Supported By the Data.
- Mono-unsaturated Fatty Acids Link H3K4me3 Modifiers to C. Elegans Lifespan.
- Insulin's Direct Hepatic Effect Explains the Inhibition of Glucose Production Caused By Insulin Secretion.
- Raccoon Dog Model Shows Preservation of Bone During Prolonged Catabolism and Reduced Physical Activity.
- Dietary Fatty Acids Vary in Their Effects on Reproductive Performance and Gestational Effort in Guinea Pigs.
- Precocious Obesity Predisposes the Development of More Severe Cisplatin-Induced Acute Kidney Injury in Young Adult Mice.
- A Growth-Promoting Effect of Dietary Nucleotides in Larval ZebraFish is Associated with an Intestinal Microbiota-Mediated Reduction in Energy Expenditure.
- Evaluation of the Effects and Mechanism of L-Citrulline on Anti-obesity By Appetite Suppression in Obese/Diabetic KK-Ay Mice and High-Fat Diet Fed SD Rats.
- Elevation of Circulating MicroRNA Levels in Obese Children Compared to Healthy Controls.
- MiRNA-132 Induces Hepatic Steatosis and Hyperlipidaemia By Synergistic Multitarget Suppression.
Scientific Rigor & Scholarly Dialogue
- Letter: Concerns About the Study Population in the Study on Ultraprocessed Food Consumption and Risk of Overweight and Obesity.
- Reply To: Concerns About the Study Population in the Study on Ultraprocessed Food Consumption and Risk of Overweight and Obesity.
- Comment On: Ultraprocessed Food Consumption and Risk of Overweight and Obesity: The University of Navarra Follow-Up (SUN) Cohort Study.
- Reply to Comment: Ultraprocessed Food Consumption and Risk of Overweight and Obesity: The University of Navarra Follow-Up (SUN) Cohort Study.
- Response To: Ultraprocessed Food Consumption and Risk of Overweight and Obesity.
- Reply to Response: Ultraprocessed Food Consumption and Risk of Overweight and Obesity.
- Letter: Long-Term Results of Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy for Morbid Obesity: 5 to 8-Year Results.
- Response To: Long-Term Results of Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy for Morbid Obesity: 5 to 8-Year Results.
- Comment: Obesity and Cesarean Section: Bacteria or Birth Interval?
- Reply: Obesity and Cesarean Section.
- Retracted: A Fatal Case of Wernicke's Encephalopathy After Sleeve Gastrectomy for Morbid Obesity.
- Filling the Gaps in Obesity Care.
- RCT: Whole-Body Vibration Training to Prevent Weight Gain in College Students.
- Blood Donor Characteristics on Transfusion Outcomes—Should Obesity Be Assessed in Future Clinical Trials?
- Case Report: Refractory Gout: Efficacy of High-Dose Anti-IL1r Treatment.
- Antibiotic Use Alters Microbiome, Increasing Risk for Obesity, Diabetes.
- Body-Weight Fluctuations and Outcomes in Coronary Disease.
- RCT: Can Genetic-based Advice Help You Lose Weight?
Children and Adolescents
- The Effects of Exercise on Abdominal Fat and Liver Enzymes in Pediatric Obesity: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
- Childhood Adiposity and Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Adulthood.
- Fruit Juice and Change in BMI: A Meta-analysis.
- 2017 Recommendations for Preventive Pediatric Health Care.
- Children’s Physical Activity and Depression: A Meta-analysis.
- Pathogenesis of Type 2 Diabetes in Obese Adolescents: Metabolites of Serotonin and Mitochondrial Function in 24- Hour Urine Samples.
- Swallowable Gastric Balloon for Obesity: Pilot Study.
- RCT: Time-to-intubation in Obese Patients. Comparing Direct Laryngoscopy and Videolaryngoscopy in Experienced Anaesthetists.
- One-Anastomosis Gastric Bypass: First 407 Patients in 1 Year.
- RYGB Produces More Sustained Body Weight Loss and Improvement of Glycemic Control Compared with VSG in the Diet-Induced Obese Mouse Model.
- Commentary: Acceptance of Surgical Treatment for Adolescent Obesity a UK Perspective.
- Reply: Acceptance of Surgical Treatment for Adolescent Obesity.
- The Buckle of the Bariatric Surgery Belt: An Analysis of Regional Disparities in Bariatric Surgery.
- Geographic and Socioeconomic Factors Affecting Delivery of Bariatric Surgery Across High- and Low-utilization Healthcare Systems.
- Anti-obesity Effect of a Novel Caffeine-loaded Dissolving Microneedle Patch in High-fat Diet-induced Obese C57BL/6J Mice.
- Review: Medicinal Plants and Phytochemicals with Anti-obesogenic Potentials.
- Pharmacotherapy of Obesity: Clinical Trials to Clinical Practice.
- Baicalin Against Obesity and Insulin Resistance Through Activation of AKT/AS160/GLUT4 Pathway.
- Mechanisms for the Anti-obesity Actions of Bofutsushosan in High-fat Diet-fed Obese Mice.
Food & Diet
- Fruit Juice and Change in BMI: A Meta-analysis.
- High-Dietary Alpha-Tocopherol or Mixed Tocotrienols Have No Effect on Bone Mass, Density, or Turnover in Male Rats During Skeletal Maturation.
- High-fat Feeding Rather than Obesity Drives Taxonomical and Functional Changes in the Gut Microbiota in Mice.
- Food Restriction Affects Y-maze Spatial Recognition Memory in Developing Mice.
- Using DNA Methylation Profiling to Evaluate Biological Age and Longevity Interventions.
- Caloric Restriction Extends Yeast Chronological Lifespan By Optimizing the Snf1 (AMPK) Signaling Pathway.
Exercise & Physical Activity
- Association Between Neighbourhood Walkability and Metabolic Risk Factors Influenced By Physical Activity: A Cross-sectional Study of Adults in Toronto, Canada.
- Effects of a Physical Activity Program on Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Pulmonary Function in Obese Women After Bariatric Surgery: A Pilot Study.
- Decreased Insulin-stimulated Brown Adipose Tissue Glucose Uptake After Short-term Exercise Training in Healthy Middle Aged Men.
- Resistance Training for Glycemic Control, Muscular Strength, and Lean Body Mass in Old Type 2 Diabetic Patients: A Meta-Analysis.
Economics & Sociology
- Perceived Racial Composition and Leisure-time Physical Activity Among Middle Class Blacks and Whites.
- The Association Between Food Security and Store-Specific and Overall Food Shopping Behaviors.
- Accumulation of Adverse Childhood Events and Overweight in Children: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
- The Association of Early Life Socioeconomic Conditions with Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes.
- Evidence for a Causal Relationship Between Low Vitamin D, High BMI, and Pediatric-onset MS.
- Weight History and All-Cause and Cause-Specific Mortality in Three Prospective Cohort Studies.
- Associations of LEP, CRH, ICAM-1, and LINE-1 Methylation, Measured in Saliva, with Waist Circumference, BMI, and Percent Body Fat in Mid-childhood.
- Comparative Effects of the Restriction Method in Two Large Observational Studies of BMI and Mortality Among Adults.
- Insulin Resistance Predicts Cognitive Decline: An 11-Year Follow-up of a Nationally Representative Adult Population Sample.
- Obesity and Cigarette Smoking: Extending the Link to E-cigarette/Vaping Use.
- Indolepropionic Acid and Novel Lipid Metabolites are Associated with a Lower Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in the Finnish Diabetes Prevention Study.
Psychology & Neuroscience
- Self-Perceived Food Addiction: Prevalence, Predictors, and Prognosis.
- Higher BMI in Preschoolers is Associated with Food Brand Recognition.
- Synergistic Effect of Perinatal High Fat Diet and Stress on Offspring Susceptibility to Gain Weight: Animal Model.
- On the Relations Between Diet Violation, Self-perceptions and Attitudes, and Subsequent Dieting.
- Review: It Wasn't Me; It Was My Brain – Obesity-associated Characteristics of Brain Circuits Governing Decision-making.
- Review: Obesity-Induced Neuroinflammation: Beyond the Hypothalamus.
Equity and Disparities
- Cardiometabolic Abnormalities Among Normal-Weight Persons From Five Racial/Ethnic Groups in the United States: A Cross-sectional Analysis of Two Cohort Studies.
- Disparities in Potentially Preventable Hospitalizations: Near-National Estimates for Hispanics.
- American Society of Clinical Oncology Position Statement: Strategies for Reducing Cancer Health Disparities Among Sexual and Gender Minority Populations.
- Public Support for Weight-Related Antidiscrimination Laws and Policies.
- Impact of Self-Criticism and Self-Reassurance on Weight-Related Affect and Well-Being.
- Stigmatization of Overweight and Obese Peers Among Children.
- Obesity and the Social Withdrawal Syndrome.
- Public Health and Obesity Prevention Campaigns – a Case Study and Critical Discussion.
- National Menu Labeling.
- A Perspective: Toddler Feeding, Science, and Nutrition Policy.
- The Risk of Expanding the Uninsured Population by Repealing the Affordable Care Act.
- A Western-style Obesogenic Diet Alters Maternal Metabolic Physiology with Consequences for Fetal Nutrient Acquisition in Mice.
- Maternal BMI in Early Pregnancy and Risk of Epilepsy in Offspring.
- Intensive Gestational Glycemic Management and Childhood Obesity: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
- RCT: Early Pregnancy Probiotic Supplementation with Lactobacillus Rhamnosus HN001 May Reduce the Prevalence of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus.
- Maternal BMI in Early Pregnancy and Risk of Epilepsy in Offspring.
Ecology, Evolution, & Energetics
- Supplementing an Energy Adequate, Higher-protein Diet with Protein Does Not Enhance Fat-free Mass Restoration After Short-term Severe Negative Energy Balance.
- Energy Expenditure in People with Motor-complete Paraplegia.
- Forearm to Fingertip Skin Temperature Gradients in the Thermoneutral Zone Were Significantly Related to Resting Metabolic Rate: Potential Implications for Nutrition Research.
- Tracking Hazardous Chemicals From Fast-food Wrappers in the Body.
- On the Estimation and Control of Human Body Composition.
- Predicting Skeletal Muscle Mass From Dual-energy X-ray Absorptiometry in Japanese Prepubertal Children.
Mathematical and Quantitative
- To Be, or Not to Be, Fatter? Of Science, Sense, and Squirrels.
- The Low-down on Intermittent Fasting.
- Sugar Fixation Hampering Obesity Battle.
- Obesity Risk: Sleeping in Your Genes.
- Yo-yo Diet Warning: Repeatedly Losing or Gaining 8 to 10lbs Could Increase Your Risk of Heart Attacks, Strokes and Death.
- Is Fat Killing You, or is Sugar?
- Dietary Supplements: Nobel or Ignoble.
- For Children’s Health, the Government Has to Treat Sugar Like Cigarettes.
- Fruit Juice and Child Health.
- Reproducibility of Research: Issues and Proposed Remedies: The Challenge of Reproducibility in the Biomedical Sciences.
- Reproducibility of Research: Issues and Proposed Remedies: Data Sharing and Reproducibility.
- Unreadable Science Abstracts.
- Regulation of Life Span by the Gut Microbiota in the Short-Lived African Turquoise Killifish.
- ‘Young Poo’ Makes Aged Fish Live Longer.
- Ten Simple Rules for Responsible Big Data Research.
- Why Bad Science is Plaguing Health Research — and How to Fix It.
- Migration of Mitochondrial DNA in the Nuclear Genome of Colorectal Adenocarcinoma.
- The Principles of Openness, Transparency, and Reproducibility Might Be Weaponized to Defund and Deny Research.
- Maturing Meta-Science Was on Show in Washington DC.
- The Suicide of Expertise.
- Power Posing: P-Curving the Evidence.
Video & Audio
- Institute of Food Technologists 2017 Achievement Awards.
- New NAS Report: Fostering Integrity in Research.
- UAB's Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) invites you to join us at our NIH-funded short course on “The Mathematical Sciences in Obesity".
- UAB Invites You to Join Us at Our NIH-funded Short Course on “Strengthening Causal Inference in Behavioral Obesity Research”.
- UAB’s NORC seeks post-doctoral fellows in obesity research.