- Neural Representation of Social, Monetary and Chocolate Reinforcer Processing.
- High-sucrose-induced Maternal Obesity Disrupts Ovarian Function and Decreases Fertility in Drosophila Melanogaster.
- Intranasal Delivery of N-terminal Modified Leptin-pluronic Conjugate for Treatment of Obesity.
Headline vs Study
- Headline: Home-cooked Meals, No TV During Dinner May Reduce Risk for Obesity.
- Study: Self-reported Exposures of Television During Dinner or Home-cooked Meals, but Not Family Meal Frequency, are Cross-Sectionally Associated with Self-reported BMI.
Contrary or Null Findings
- “…the Widely Cited, Extant Measures of the Quantity and Value of Food Waste are Inconsistent with One Another and Overstate the Problem of Food Waste.” (pdf)
- Systematic Review: "Associations between sedentary behaviour and adiposity in children and adolescents are small to very small and there is little to no evidence that this association is causal."
- Eliminating Cows' Milk, but Not Wheat, Barley or Rye, Increases the Risk of Growth Deceleration and Nutritional Inadequacies.
- Obesity-induced Changes in Locomotor Performance and Muscle Contractile Function Were Not Reversible By Weight Loss [in Zebrafish].
- RCT: The Study Does Not Support the Beneficial Effect of Enriched Enteral Nutrition in Long-term Survival in Stage IV Gastric Cancer Patients.
- "We found no evidence that people took statins to compensate for a poor diet or lifestyle."
- "Our results refute the widely reported increases in capacity for FatOx demonstrated with HIIT, which is likely due to marked day-to-day variability in determinations of MFO and exercise fat oxidation as well as the heterogeneity of our sample."
- "These findings do not strongly support the hypothesis that BMI-associated SNPs also influence eating behavior" in children.
- Dietary Fatty Acids Influence Sperm Quality and Function in Sprague-Dawley Rats.
- Consumption of Polyphenol-Rich Feed Components Reduces ER Stress-Induced Unfolded Protein Response and Inflammation in the Livers of Lactating Dairy Cows.
- Orexin Activation Counteracts Decreases in Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis (NEAT) Caused By Consumption of a High Fat Diet in Male Mice.
- Selection for High Aerobic Capacity Has No Protective Effect Against Obesity in Laboratory Mice.
- Feeding During the Rest Phase Promotes Circadian Conflict in Nuclei that Control Energy Homeostasis and Sleep-wake Cycle in Rats.
- Microbiota-Gut-Brain Axis: Modulator of Host Metabolism and Appetite.
- RORa is Not a Receptor for Melatonin.
Scientific Rigor & Scholarly Dialogue
- Editorial: Communicating Sports Science in the Age of the Twittersphere.
- Commentary: Biostatisticians are Frustrating When Data are Weak.
- Cornell finds mistakes — not misconduct — in papers by high-profile nutrition researcher.
- Letter: Measurement Error in Using Whole-body Multi-slice MRI Should Be Acknowledged When Quantifying Changes in Organ Size After a Weight-loss Intervention.
- Reply To: Measurement Error in Using Whole-body Multi-slice MRI Should Be Acknowledged When Quantifying Changes in Organ Size After a Weight-loss Intervention.
- Letter: A Prospective Study of Water Intake and Subsequent Risk of All-cause Mortality in a National Cohort: Methodologic Issues.
- Reply To: A Prospective Study of Water Intake and Subsequent Risk of All-cause Mortality in a National Cohort: Methodologic Issues.
- Letter: Do SFAs in Cheese Have Properties Different From Those in Other Foods?
- Reply To: Do SFAs in Cheese Have Properties Different From Those in Other Foods?
- Long Term Outcomes of Bariatric Surgery on Bone Density in Obese Patients with Type 2 Diabetes.
- Obesity Paradox in Stroke – Myth or Reality? A Systematic Review.
- Price Reported as Strongest Motivator of Food Making Decisions in Black and Latino Urban Food Desert Residents.
- A Community-Driven Implementation of the Body and Soul Program in Churches Increased Healthy Eating.
- Practical Partnered Research to Improve Weight Loss Among Overweight/obese Veterans: Lessons From the Trenches.
- Promoting Heart Health Among Rural African Americans.
Children and Adolescents
- Low and High Birth Weights are Risk Factors for Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Children.
- Sweet Taste Perception and Feeding Toddlers.
- Treatment of Obesity Among Youth with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities: An Emerging Role for Telenursing.
- Pediatric Obesity—Assessment, Treatment, and Prevention: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline.
- The Association of Weight Loss and Cardiometabolic Outcomes in Obese Children: Systematic Review and Meta-regression.
- Obesity in Pediatric Kidney Transplant Recipients and the Risks of Acute Rejection, Graft Loss and Death.
- BMI Trajectories of Indigenous Australian Children and Relation to Screen Time, Diet, and Demographic Factors.
- Endoscopic Drainage of Intra-Abdominal Collection After Bariatric Surgery.
- Treatment Challenges in Type 1 Diabetes After Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass.
- RCT: Comparison of Exenatide and Acarbose on Intra-abdominal Fat Content in Patients with Obesity and Type-2 Diabetes.
- Potential Role of CYP1B1 in the Development and Treatment of Metabolic Diseases.
- Studies to Examine Potential Tolerability Differences Between the 5-HT2C Receptor Selective Agonists Lorcaserin and CP-809101.
- Combined Metformin and Insulin Treatment Reverses Metabolically Impaired Omental Adipogenesis and Accumulation of 4-hydroxynonenal in Obese Diabetic Patients.
Food & Diet
- Evaluation of Space Food for Commercial Astronauts.
- Differences in Preschool-age Children's Dietary Intake Between Meals Consumed at Childcare and at Home.
- RCT: Energy Compensation and Nutrient Displacement Following Regular Consumption of Hazelnuts and Other Energy-dense Snack Foods in Non-obese Individuals.
- Obesity Mediates the Association Between Mediterranean Diet Consumption and Insulin Resistance and Inflammation in US Adults.
- Energy Balance Modulation Impacts Epigenetic Reprogramming, ERa and ERß Expression and Mammary Tumor Development in MMTV-neu Transgenic Mice.
- Epigenetic Aging Signatures in Mice Livers are Slowed By Dwarfism, Calorie Restriction and Rapamycin Treatment.
Exercise & Physical Activity
- The Fat-but-fit Paradigm Within the Context of Cognitive Function.
- Exercise Training-induced Improvement in Skeletal Muscle PGC-1a-mediated Fat Metabolism is Independent of Dietary Glycemic Index.
- Two Weeks of Moderate Intensity Continuous Training, but Not High Intensity Interval Training Increases Insulin-stimulated Intestinal Glucose Uptake.
- Evidence for Associations Between Traffic Calming and Safety and Active Transport or Obesity: A Scoping Review.
Economics & Sociology
- Does Where You Shop or Who You are Predict What You Eat?: The Role of Stores and Individual Characteristics in Dietary Intake.
- Food Insecurity Among Veterans: Findings From the Health and Retirement Study.
- Ethnic Markets and Community Food Security in an Urban “Food Desert”.
- The Hippies Have Won.
- Working Toward Engaging Local Businesses in Community Obesity Solutions: A Preliminary Account From the Field.
- Does Obesity Affect Pathologic Agreement of Initial and Final Tumor Grade of Disease in Endometrial Cancer Patients?
- Dietary Patterns in Weight Loss Maintenance: Results From the MedWeight Study.
- Metabolically Healthy Obesity and the Risk for Subclinical Atherosclerosis.
- Childhood BMI and Development of Type 2 Diabetes Throughout Adult Life: A Large-scale Danish Cohort Study.
Psychology & Neuroscience
- Relationship Between Maternal Prepregnancy BMI and Neurocognitive Functioning Among Children Born Preterm.
- Secretive Eating Among Youth with Overweight or Obesity.
- Electrophysiological Responses to High-Calorie Food Stimuli Predict Calorie and Carbohydrate Intake.
- Systematic Review: Adverse Childhood Events and Overweight in Children.
- Lower Inhibitory Control Interacts with Greater Pain Catastrophizing to Predict Greater Pain Intensity in Women with Migraine and Overweight/obesity.
- Food Addiction as a Proxy for Eating Disorder and Obesity Severity, Trauma History, PTSD Symptoms, and Comorbidity.
Equity and Disparities
- Sex Differences in the Association of Phospholipids with Components of the Metabolic Syndrome in Young Adults.
- The Weight of Racism: Vigilance and Racial Inequalities in Weight-related Measures.
- Genomics, Health Disparities, and Missed Opportunities for the Nation’s Research Agenda.
- Time Trend and Demographic and Geographic Disparities in Childhood Obesity Prevalence in China—Evidence From Twenty Years of Longitudinal Data.
- Review: Health Disparities and Triple-Negative Breast Cancer in African American Women.
- Adverse Effects of Female Obesity and Interaction with Race on Reproductive Potential.
- Attitudes Toward Prenatal Genetic Testing and Therapeutic Termination of Pregnancy Among Parents of Offspring with Prader-Willi Syndrome.
- Should Schools Be Sending BMI Reports Home?
- The Role of Weight Teasing and Weight Bias Internalization in Psychological Functioning.
- The Effects of Obesity-Related Health Messages on Explicit and Implicit Weight Bias.
- Public Preferences for the Use of Taxation and Labelling Policy Measures to Combat Obesity in Young Children in Australia.
- Statewide Policies on Competitive School Foods and Beverages: Broadening the Scope of School-Based Antiobesity Efforts.
- Lay Theories of Obesity: Causes and Consequences.
- How the Media’s Language of Obesity May Have Made the Sugar Tax Inevitable.
- Brewers Association Releases Beer Nutrient Database for FDA Chain Restaurant Menu Labeling Requirements.
- Lower Glycemic Load Meals Reduce Diurnal Glycemic Oscillations in Women with Risk Factors for Gestational Diabetes.
- Associations of Maternal Obesity and Excessive Weight Gain During Pregnancy with Subcutaneous Fat Mass in Infancy.
- Vitamin Concentrations in Human Milk Vary with Time Within Feed, Circadian Rhythm, and Single-Dose Supplementation.
- A Review of the Impact of Maternal Obesity on Inflammatory Processes and Consequences for Later Offspring Health Outcomes.
Ecology, Evolution, & Energetics
- Effect of Temperature and Food Restriction on Immune Function in Striped Hamsters (Cricetulus Barabensis).
- Ecology of Ontogenetic Body-mass Scaling of Gill Surface Area in a Freshwater Crustacean.
- Modified Body Adiposity Index for Body Fat Estimation in Severe Obesity.
- Associations of LEP, CRH, ICAM-1, and LINE-1 Methylation, Measured in Saliva, with Waist Circumference, BMI, and Percent Body Fat in Mid-childhood.
- Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry Body Composition Reference Values of Limbs and Trunk From NHANES 1999–2004 with Additional Visualization Methods.
Mathematical and Quantitative
- Development and Validation of Two Equations Based on Anthropometry, Estimating Body Fat for the Greek Adult Population.
- Independent Associations Between Metabolic Syndrome Severity and Future Coronary Heart Disease By Sex and Race.
- The Pediatric Obesity Epidemic and the Role of the Corporation: Why Work Conditions and Faith in Meritocracy Matter.
- Setting a Higher Bar for Dietary Supplements.
- Redefining Obesity: Beyond the Numbers.
- A Loop From Brain Function to Obesity and Back.
- A Lack of Ideological Diversity is Killing Social Research.
- “Failure is an Essential Part of Science:” a Q&A with the Author of a New Book on Reproducibility.
- Data is Everywhere in Medicine, but is It Living Up to Its Promise to Improve Care?
- Reproducibility of Research: Issues and Proposed Remedies: Incomplete Reporting in Primary Scientific Literature.
- Reproducibility of Research: Issues and Proposed Remedies: Honest Learning for the Healthcare System.
- Do Funny Article Titles Garner More Citations?
- Super Sponge Removes Mercury and Kills Microbes From Water.
- Learning About and From Others' Prudence, Impatience or Laziness: The Computational Bases of Attitude Alignment.
Video & Audio
- TOS Abstract Submission for ObesityWeek 2017 is Now Open.
- Workshop to Teach Non-Researchers About Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses in the Development of Food Policy.
- UAB's Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) invites you to join us at our NIH-funded short course on “The Mathematical Sciences in Obesity".
- UAB Invites You to Join Us at Our NIH-funded Short Course on “Strengthening Causal Inference in Behavioral Obesity Research”.
- UAB’s NORC seeks post-doctoral fellows in obesity research.