- Looking for a Signal in the Noise: Revisiting Obesity and the Microbiome.
- Obese Women's Access to Assisted Fertility Treatment - A Scientific and Ethical Analysis.
- A Systematic Review of Obesity Disparities Research.
Headline vs Study
- Headline: This is How You Get a Hot Bod Without Actual Exercise.
- Study: Whole-body Vibration Mimics [some of] the Metabolic Effects of Exercise... In Male Leptin Receptor Deficient Mice.
Contrary or Null Findings
- RCT: No Significant Difference in Energy Compensation After Regularly Consuming Hazelnuts, Chocolate, or Potato Crisps.
- Co-ingesting Milk Fat with Micellar Casein Does Not Affect Postprandial Protein Handling in Healthy Older Men.
- RCT: Pre-meal Screen-time Activities Had No Significant Effects on Food Intake in Young Girls.
- "Contrary to what was hypothesized, adipogenesis increased independently of initial BMI in prolonged critically ill patients."
- "BMI in early adulthood was not associated strongly with head and neck cancer outcomes."
- Size is No Barrier: Robot-assisted Partial Nephrectomy in Patients with a High BMI.
- "Although visceral obesity and sarcopenia are relatively common at CRC diagnosis, we found no significant associations of these parameters with long-term HRQoL in stage I–III CRC survivors".
- RCT: Weight Loss Proved Difficult for All Groups; There Was No Advantage of Nurse Health Coaching Over an Herbal Supplement as Adjuncts to Army MOVE! For Weight Reduction.
- "While fat mass index is strongly associated with worsening of metabolic health traits...there was little evidence for the effects of cardiorespiratory fitness or fat free mass index on metabolic health".
- An Obesogenic Refined Low-fat Diet Disrupts Attentional and Behavioral Control Processes in a Vigilance Task in Rats.
- Maternal High-Fat Diet Consumption Enhances Offspring Susceptibility to Inflammatory Bowel Disease in Mice.
- Oxytocin Secretion From the Paraventricular Nucleus (PVN) Has a Diurnal Pattern and Potentially Regulates the Circadian Rhythm of PVN Oxytocin Neurons in Transgenic Mice.
- Prenatal Steroid Administration Leads to Adult Pericardial and Hepatic Steatosis in Male Baboons.
- Impact of Dietary Interventions on Noncoding RNA Networks and MRNAs Encoding Chromatin-Related Factors.
- Human MicroRNA-548p Decreases Hepatic Apolipoprotein B Secretion and Lipid Synthesis.
- Elevated MiR-130a/miR130b/miR-152 Expression Reduces Intracellular ATP Levels in the Pancreatic Beta Cell.
- Does Activation of Midbrain Dopamine Neurons Promote or Reduce Feeding?
Scientific Rigor & Scholarly Dialogue
- Why Many Wrongs Make a Right in the Health Sciences.
- "Strange. Very Strange:" Retracted Nutrition Study Reappears in New Journal.
- Editorial: Keeping the Baby and Throwing Out the Bathwater.
- Perspective: Redefining Obesity -- Beyond the Numbers.
- Editorial: A Systems Science Perspective on Addressing Obesity in the Veterans Health Administration.
- Letter: Prediction of Childhood Obesity with or Without Vitamin D Deficiency.
- Letter: The Obesity Paradox in Heart Failure: A MiR-26b Affair?
- Letter: Industry Sponsorship and Outcomes of Nutrition Studies: Is There an Association When Looking at the Trial Level?
- Therapeutic Options to Treat Pediatric Obesity.
- RCT: Behavioral Mediators of Weight Loss in Two Group-based Behavioral Interventions in Older Adults.
- Higher BMI is Associated with Greater Proportions of Effector CD8+ T Cells Expressing CD57 in Women Living with HIV.
- Are Pediatricians Diagnosing Obese Children?
Children and Adolescents
- Adiposity and Response to an Obesity Prevention Intervention in Pakistani and Bangladeshi Primary School.
- BMI Adjustments to Increase the Validity of Body Fatness Assessment in UK Black African and South Asian Children.
- Internet Use Patterns and Internet Addiction in Children and Adolescents with Obesity.
- Early Infancy Interventions to Prevent Childhood Obesity.
- One-year Follow-up of Clinical, Metabolic and Oxidative Stress Profile of Morbid Obese Patients After Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy.
- Revisiting Your Diet After Weight Loss Surgery.
- Simultaneous Liver Transplantation and Sleeve Gastrectomy: Prohibitive Combination or a Necessity?
- The Regulatory Perspectives on Endoscopic Devices for Obesity.
- Current and Future Medical Treatment of Obesity.
- Anticancer Drugs and Lipid Signalling.
- Will Viewing Overeating as Compulsive Lead to Novel Pharmacological Interventions?
- Cana/Phen: Unlocking a Potential New Drug Combination.
Food & Diet
- Red Raspberry (Rubus Idaeus L.) Intake Decreases Oxidative Stress in Obese Diabetic (db/db) Mice.
- Food Intake and Food Choice are Altered By the Developmental Transition at Critical Weight in Drosophila Melanogaster.
- Eating Dependence and Weight Gain; No Human Evidence for a ‘sugar-addiction’ Model of Overweight.
- "A specific protein inside cells senses threatening changes in its environment, such as heat or starvation, and triggers an adaptive response to help the cell continue to function and grow under stressful conditions."
- Nutrient Sensing and the Oxidative Stress Response.
Exercise & Physical Activity
- The Impact of Rapid Weight Loss (4%) on Leptin, Adiponectin, and Insulin Resistance in Elite Adult Free Style Wrestlers.
- Physical Mobility, Physical Activity, and Obesity Among Elderly: Findings From a Large Swedish Survey.
- RCT: Comparison Between the Effect of 6 Weeks of Morning or Evening Aerobic Exercise on Appetite and Anthropometric Indices.
Economics & Sociology
- Surveillance of Food and Weight Before and After Bariatric Surgery.
- Hidden Negative Aspects of Industrialization at the Onset of Modern Economic Growth in the U.S.
- Geographic Variation in the Relationship Between BMI and the Built Environment.
- Acculturation and Weight Change in Asian-American Children.
- Indicators of Abdominal Size Relative to Height Associated with Sex, Age, Socioeconomic Position and Ancestry Among US Adults.
- Testosterone Levels in Pre-Menopausal Women are Associated with Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease in Midlife.
- Metabolic Syndrome Prevalence By Race/Ethnicity and Sex in the United States.
- Morbid Obesity in Taiwan: Prevalence, Trends, Associated Social Demographics, and Lifestyle Factors.
- Prevalence of Cardio-metabolic Risk Factors in a Nationally Representative Sample of Iranian Adolescents.
- Temporal Trends in Dietary Macronutrient Intakes Among Adults in Rural China From 1991 to 2011.
- Exposure to the Chinese Famine of 1959–61 in Early Life and Long-Term Health Conditions.
- Utilization and Environmental Availability of Food Outlets and Overweight/obesity Among Schoolchildren in the South of Brazil.
Psychology & Neuroscience
- Referral to Lifestyle Interventions is Influenced By General Practitioners’ Subjective Norm, Behavioral Control, and Their Own Physical Activity and Diet.
- Cooking at Home. Eating Better at No Extra Cost.
- Primary Care Physician Counseling and Successful Weight Loss Among Low-Income African American Women.
- Does More Education Cause Lower BMI, or do Lower-BMI Individuals Become More Educated?
- Prevalence of Obesity and Comorbid Eating Disorder Behaviors in South Australia From 1995 to 2015.
Equity and Disparities
- A Systematic Review of Obesity Disparities Research.
- Did Weight Loss in the Prevention of Diabetes and Obesity in South Asians Trial Differ By Sex?
- Prevalence and Determinants of Overweight and Obesity in Children and Adolescents From Migrant and Seasonal Farmworker Families in the U.S.
- Rural–Urban Disparities in Obesity Prevalence Among Working Age Adults in the U.S.
- Nurses’ Attitudes Towards Obese Patients: A Review of the Literature.
- Including Perspectives of Women with Overweight and Obesity to Inform Stigma-reduction Strategies.
- Patient-centered Communication and Provider Avoidance.
- Humans of Simulated New York: An Exploratory Comprehensive Model of City Life - Including Food Purchases.
- Using Agent-Based Models to Develop Public Policy About Food Behaviours: Future Directions and Recommendations.
- Food Deserts? Healthy Food Access in Amsterdam.
- Maternal Depression During Pregnancy is Associated with Increased Birth Weight in Term Infants.
- Early-Life Nutritional Programming of Type 2 Diabetes.
- A Post-weaning Obesogenic Diet Exacerbates the Detrimental Effects of Maternal Obesity on Offspring Insulin Signaling in Adipose Tissue.
- Size, Season and Offspring Sex Affect Milk Composition and Juvenile Survival in Wild Kangaroos.
- A Systematic Review of Genetic Syndromes with Obesity.
- Predicting Polygenic Obesity Using Genetic Information.
Ecology, Evolution, & Energetics
- Matching Meals to Body Clocks—Impact on Weight and Glucose Metabolism.
- Change in Body Weight From Age 20 Years is a Powerful Determinant of the Metabolic Syndrome.
- The Costs of Locomotor Activity? Maximum Body Temperatures and the Use of Torpor During the Active Season in Edible Dormice.
- Keeping Fat on Time: Circadian Control of Adipose Tissue.
- RCT: The Effect of Diurnal Distribution of Carbohydrates and Fat on Glycaemic Control in Humans.
- Squeezing Observational Data for Better Causal Inference: Methods and Examples for Prevention Research.
- Cost of the Diet: A Method and Software to Calculate the Lowest Cost of Meeting Recommended Intakes of Energy and Nutrients From Local Foods.
- Evaluation of a Smartphone Food Diary Application Using Objectively Measured Energy Expenditure.
- Approximate Time to Steady-State Resting Energy Expenditure Using Indirect Calorimetry in Young, Healthy Adults.
Mathematical and Quantitative
- Family-Personalized Dietary Planning with Temporal Dynamics.
- Propensity Score Weighting for Causal Inference with Clustered Data – Method and Application to Estimating the Effect of School BMI Screening on Prevalence of Overweight and Obesity for Elementary School Children.
- Does Fetal Growth Restriction Cause Later Obesity? Pitfalls in Analyzing Causal Mediators as Confounders.
- Choices, Voices, and Veganism: Diet for the Many.
- What’s Wrong with the Paleo Diet?
- Bolivian Jungle Dwellers Have Lowest Rates of Heart Disease Ever Measured.
- Despite the Anti-Carb Diet Fads, Whole Grains are Still Good for You.
- The Cost Can Be Debated, but Meals on Wheels Gets Results.
- Discovery and Fine-Mapping of Loci Associated with Monounsaturated Fatty Acids Through Trans-Ethnic Meta-analysis in Chinese and European Populations.
- Impaired Glucose Homeostasis in First-Episode Schizophrenia: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
- The Social Costs of Smell Loss in Older Women.
- Preferences of Women for Web-based Nutritional Information in Pregnancy.
- RCT: The Prevention of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus with Antenatal Oral Inositol Supplementation.
- About Face: From Revulsion to Compassion.
- Chemists Create Molecular 'Leaf' that Collects and Stores Solar Power Without Solar Panels.
- Air Quality Environmental Epidemiology Studies are Unreliable.
- Women's History Month and One Woman's Trek in Science - Revisiting a Moment in Alaska with Rita Colwell, the First Woman to Serve as NSF Director.
- Meta-assessment of Bias in Science.
Initial Videos From Sackler Colloquium on Reproducibility
- Video: Reproducibility of Research: Issues and Proposed Remedies: Remembering Stephen Fienberg.
- Video: Reproducibility of Research: Issues and Proposed Remedies: Call to Order.
- Video: Reproducibility of Research: Issues and Proposed Remedies: Welcoming Remarks.
- Video: Reproducibility of Research: Issues and Proposed Remedies: Framing the Issues.
Video & Audio
- Nathan Shock Centers Pre-Conference Symposium: Emerging Techniques and Technologies for Basic Aging Research - June 9th From 9am to 3:00pm.
- 4th International Conference on Recent Advances and Controversies in Measuring Energy Metabolism (RACMEM-2017) - 20-22 October 2017 Fribourg, Switzerland.
- UAB's Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) invites you to join us at our NIH-funded short course on “The Mathematical Sciences in Obesity".
- UAB Invites You to Join Us at Our NIH-funded Short Course on “Strengthening Causal Inference in Behavioral Obesity Research”.
- UAB’s NORC seeks post-doctoral fellows in obesity research.
- The Challenge of Treating Obesity and Overweight: Learning What Works and Making it Happen—A Workshop - April 6, 2017 (8:30 AM Eastern) - National Academy of Sciences.