- Longitudinal associations between BMI, physical activity, and healthy dietary behaviors in adults: A parallel latent growth curve modeling approach.
- In Rats a Novel Dual Amylin and Calcitonin Receptor Agonist, KBP-089, Induces Weight Loss Through a Reduction in Fat, but Not Lean Mass, While Improving Food Preference.
- What Bariatric Surgery Can Teach Us About Endoluminal Treatment of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders.
Headline vs Study
- Headline: Eating More — or Less — of 10 Foods May Cut Risk of Early Death.
- Headline: These 10 Foods Contribute Mightily to U.S. Deaths, Analysis Shows.
- Study: Association Between Dietary Factors and Mortality From Heart Disease, Stroke, and Type 2 Diabetes in the United States.
- Headline critique: “Can These 10 Foods Really ‘cut Risk of Early Death’? NPR Overstates the Evidence”.
Contrary or Null Findings
- "No significant association was found between dietary carbohydrate intake, GI and GL, and risk of GC [Gastric Cancer]."
- The Findings Suggest No Association Between Dietary Sources of Fructose and Anthropometric Indices in Patients with NAFLD.
- RCT: Consuming Water in the Context of a Weight-reducing Diet Does Not Affect Body Weight Among Adolescents.
- RCT: "Supplementation with L. reuteri DSM 17938 for 12 weeks did not affect HbA1c, liver steatosis, adiposity or microbiota composition."
- RCT: "In hypertensive patients, a high-energy meal did not lead to postprandial impairment of vascular endothelial function. Postprandial metabolic responses induced by the challenge, such as lipemia and insulinemia, were not attenuated by the concomitant ingestion of quercetin."
- Anti-Mullerian Hormone Was Not a Statistically Significant Indicator of Potential Polycystic Ovary Syndrome in Prepubertal Girls with Simple Obesity.
- Meta-analysis: "Intensive gestational glycemic management is not associated with reduced childhood obesity in offspring, but randomized data is scarce."
- No Association Between Metformin Use and Survival in Patients with Pancreatic Cancer: An Observational Cohort Study.
- No Association Between Timing of Dinner and Cardiometabolic Profiles Observed Among South-Asian Canadians at Risk of Type 2 Diabetes.
- Adipose-specific Deletion of Kif5b Exacerbates Obesity and Insulin Resistance in a Mouse Model of Diet-induced Obesity.
- Consumption of Structured Lipids Attenuates Development of Obesity in C57Bl/6 Mice.
- X Chromosome Dosage is a Risk Factor for Increased Food Intake, Adiposity, and Development of Co-Morbidities.
- The Metabolic Syndrome Induces Early Changes in the Swine Renal Medullary Mitochondria.
- ERK1 and ERK2 Activation Modulates Diet-induced Obesity in Mice.
- Exercise Training Rescues High Fat Diet-induced Neuronal Nitric Oxide Synthase Expression in the Hippocampus and Cerebral Cortex of Mice.
- Cafeteria Diet and Probiotic Therapy: Cross Talk Among Memory, Neuroplasticity, Serotonin Receptors and Gut Microbiota in the Rat.
- A Maternal High-fat, High-sucrose Diet Has Sex-specific Effects on Fetal Glucocorticoids with Little Consequence for Offspring Metabolism and Voluntary Locomotor Activity in Mice.
- Comprehensive Functional Screening of MiRNAs Involved in Fat Cell Insulin Sensitivity Among Women.
- Aberrant Expression of MicroRNA Induced By High-fructose Diet: Implications in the Pathogenesis of Hyperlipidemia and Hepatic Insulin Resistance.
Scientific Rigor & Scholarly Dialogue
- Has Nutrition Science Been Poisoned? —The Inevitable Weaknesses of Observational and Diet Studies.
- Bariatric surgery patient misdiagnosed with rare neurological side effect in retracted case study.
Children and Adolescents
- Associations of Maternal Stress with Children's Weight-related Behaviours: A Systematic Literature Review.
- Differences in Bone Mineral Density Between Normal-weight Children and Children with Overweight and Obesity: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
- Screening Obese Adolescents for Binge Eating Disorder in Primary Care: The Adolescent Binge Eating Scale.
- RCT: Evaluation of a Commercially Delivered Weight Management Program for Adolescents.
- Opportunities and Cautions in the Use of Commercially Delivered Weight-Management Programs for Children and Adolescents.
- Early Weight Loss Independent Effects of Sleeve Gastrectomy on Diet-Induced Cardiac Dysfunction in Obese, Wistar Rats.
- Outcomes of Bariatric Surgery in Morbidly Obese Patients with Multiple Sclerosis.
- Farnesoid X Receptor an Emerging Target to Combat Obesity.
- Metformin for Prediabetes.
- RCT: Effects of TRP Channel Agonist Ingestion on Metabolism and Autonomic Nervous System in Healthy Subjects.
- Phloretin Prevents High-Fat Diet-Induced Obesity and Improves Metabolic Homeostasis.
- Niclosamide as an Anti-obesity Drug: An Experimental Study.
Food & Diet
- Changes in Body Weight, Body Fat, Lipid Profile and Proinflammatory Markers in Rats After Administration of Sucrose and Aspartame.
- Exploring the Role of Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Consumption in Obesity Among New Yorkers Using Propensity Score Matching.
- Diet-induced Weight Loss Decreases Adipose Tissue Oxygen Tension with Parallel Changes in Adipose Tissue Phenotype and Insulin Sensitivity in Overweight Humans.
- Abdominal Obesity May Influence the Effect of a Mediterranean-Diet on Reducing Insulin Resistance and Inflammation.
- Postdiagnostic Mediterranean and Healthy Nordic Dietary Patterns are Inversely Associated with All-Cause Mortality in Long-Term Colorectal Cancer Survivors.
- Dairy Intake is Protective Against Bone Loss in Older Vitamin D Supplement Users: The Framingham Study.
- Unraveling the Metabolic Health Benefits of Fasting Related to Religious Beliefs: A Narrative Review.
- "Accumulation of Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) mutations may interfere with the beneficial action of caloric restriction in aging retardation."
Exercise & Physical Activity
- Walking in Hypoxia: An Efficient Treatment to Lessen Mechanical Constraints and Improve Health in Obese Individuals?
- RCT: Combined Training, FNDC5/irisin Levels and Metabolic Markers in Obese Men.
- RCT: The Effects of Supervised Exercise Training 12–24 Months After Bariatric Surgery on Physical Function and Body Composition.
- A Systematic Review on the Effects of Physical Activity on the Link Between PGC-1a and FNDCM in Muscle, Circulating Irisin and UCP1 of White Adipocytes in Humans.
Economics & Sociology
- Neighborhood Socioeconomic Deprivation and Weight Change in a Large U.S. Cohort.
- Socio-economic Factors Associated with a Healthy Diet.
- Increased Prevalence of Obesity and Overweight Women Among Wealthy Households in Bangladesh and Nepal.
- The Role of Attachment Security in the Intergenerational Transmission of Obesity: A Longitudinal Study.
- The Intersection of Obesity and the Longitudinal Course of Problem Gambling.
- Increased Prevalence of Overweight and Obesity Among Mexican Children and Adolescents During the Last 25 Years.
- GWAS Identifies an African-specific Variant in SEMA4D Associated with BMI.
- Dietary Patterns are Associated with Metabolic Outcomes Among Adult Samoans in a Cross-Sectional Study.
- The Mediterranean Diet Score is More Strongly Associated with Favorable Cardiometabolic Risk Factors Over 2 Years than Other Diet Quality Indexes in Puerto Rican Adults.
- Paediatric Obesity and Cardiovascular Risk Factors – a Life Course Approach.
- Impact of Weight Maintenance and Loss on Diabetes Risk and Burden: A Population-based Study in 33,184 Participants.
Psychology & Neuroscience
- Higher BMI is Associated with Stronger Effects of Social Cues.
- Odors Signaling High-Energy Dense Products Increase Food Intake and Salivation.
- Meal Pattern Alterations Associated with Intermittent Fasting for Weight Loss are Normalized After High-Fat Diet.
- Stress, Overeating, and Obesity: Insights From Human Studies and Preclinical Models.
- Neonatal Overfeeding Disrupts Pituitary Ghrelin Signalling in Female Rats Long-term; Implications for the Stress Response.
Equity and Disparities
- Identifying Counties Vulnerable to Diabetes From Obesity Prevalence in the United States: A Spatiotemporal Analysis.
- Contributions of Social, Behavioral, and Biological Factors to Racial Disparities in Incident Obesity: The Coronary Artery Risk Development in Young Adults (CARDIA) Study.
- Racial/Ethnic Differences in the Association Between Ready-to-eat and Ready-to-heat Meal Consumption and Obesity.
- Racial/Ethnic Differences in Weight-Loss Strategies Among US Adults: National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey 2007-2012.
- Status Report -- Identifying Equity-focused Interventions to Promote Healthy Weights.
- Body Dissatisfaction and Its Correlates in 5- to 7-year-old Girls: A Social Learning Experiment.
- Weight Stigma (experienced and Internalized) May Hinder Weight Loss Maintenance.
- Menu Labels and Their Impact on the Number of Calories Selected.
- What Makes Evidence-based Policymaking Such a Useful Myth?: The Case of NICE Guidance on Bariatric Surgery in the UK.
- The Development of Scientific Evidence for Health Policies for Obesity: Why and How.
- Appetite Self-Regulation: Environmental and Policy Influences on Eating Behaviors. (pdf)
- How to Influence the Obesity Landscape Using Health Policies.
- Beneficial Effects of Exercise on Offspring Obesity and Insulin Resistance are Reduced By Maternal High-fat Diet.
- Integrated Stress Response Activation By Sleep Fragmentation During Late Gestation in Mice Leads to Emergence of Adverse Metabolic Phenotype in Offspring.
- First and Second Trimester Gestational Weight Gains are Most Strongly Associated with Cord Blood Levels of Hormones at Delivery Important for Glycemic Control and Somatic Growth.
- Breast Milk Fatty Acid Composition and Fatty Acid Intake of Lactating Mothers in South Korea.
- The Relationship of Maternal Prepregnancy BMI and Pregnancy Weight Gain to Neurocognitive Function at Age 10 Years Among Children Born Extremely Preterm.
Ecology, Evolution, & Energetics
- Stochastic Lotka-Volterra Food Chains.
- Coordination of Size-control, Reproduction and Generational Memory in Freshwater Planarians.
- Task Allocation and Site Fidelity Jointly Influence Foraging Regulation in Honey Bee Colonies.
- Does Greed Help a Forager Survive?
- Effects of Activity, Genetic Selection and Their Interaction on Muscle Metabolic Capacities and Organ Masses in Mice.
- Too Important to Tamper With: Predation Risk Affects Body Mass and Escape Behaviour but Not Escape Ability.
- Rapid Quantification of Neutral Lipids and Triglycerides During Zebrafish Embryogenesis.
- Validity of Bioelectrical Impedance Measurement in Predicting Fat-Free Mass of Chinese Children and Adolescents.
- Comparison of Weighed Food Record Procedures for the Reference Methods in Two Validation Studies of Food Frequency Questionnaires.
Mathematical and Quantitative
- Statistical Methods in the Journal - an Update.
- The Dynamics of Gastric Emptying and Self-Reported Feelings of Satiation are Better Predictors than Gastrointestinal Hormones of the Effects of Lipid Emulsion Structure on Fat Digestion in Healthy Adults—A Bayesian Inference Approach.
- Questionable, Objectionable or Criminal? Public Opinion on Data Fraud and Selective Reporting in Science.
- Pioglitazone-induced Improvements in Insulin Sensitivity Occur Without Concomitant Changes in Muscle Mitochondrial Function.
- Aggressive Clinical Approach to Obesity Improves Metabolic and Clinical Outcomes and Can Prevent Bariatric Surgery: A Single Center Experience.
- How Bacteria Interfere with Insect Reproduction.
- “Among Published Randomised Controlled Trials, There Was Little Evidence of a Difference in Positive Study Findings Between Registered and Non-registered Clinical Trials…[comparisons Of] Non-industry Funded and Industry Funded Clinical Trials Were Inconclusive.”
- How Climate Change Threatens Your Breakfast (maple Syrup).
- A Novel Zebrafish-based Model of Nociception.
- Poor Replication Validity of Biomedical Association Studies Reported By Newspapers.
- Meta-Analysis: Mobile Health Interventions for Improving Health Outcomes in Youth.
- Reproduction and In-Depth Evaluation of Genome-Wide Association Studies and Genome-Wide Meta-analyses Using Summary Statistics.
Video & Audio
- UAB's Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) invites you to join us at our NIH-funded short course on “The Mathematical Sciences in Obesity".
- UAB Invites You to Join Us at Our NIH-funded Short Course on “Strengthening Causal Inference in Behavioral Obesity Research;” Applications Due March 31st.
- UAB’s NORC seeks post-doctoral fellows in obesity research.