- RCT: Effect of Current Dietary Recommendations on Weight Loss and Cardiovascular Risk Factors.
- The Crown Joules: Energetics, Ecology, and Evolution in Humans and Other Primates.
- Among beetles losing weight, "Toxicity was much more associated with water loss than with fat loss, suggesting that a main cost of detoxification is excretion, a process that has received little attention."
Headline vs Study
- Headlines in Review: “3 Examples of #fakenews From the World of Nutrition Research.”
- Deconstructing Fake News: “Everything About This Ridiculous “CNN Nutrition” Ad is a Lie.”
Contrary or Null Findings
- No Support for Hypothesis that Elevated Levels of Leptin are Responsible Directly for Progression and Severity of Renal Disease in Obesity and Hypertension in Leptin-treated Rats. (PDF)
- RCT: "In obese women, our data do not seem to support evidence that commercial red orange juice consumption acts as functional food preventing obesity and metabolic disorders such as insulin resistance and/or inflammatory status." (PDF)
- No Significant Association of Money Spent on Food, Time Preparing Meals, Number of Meals Eaten at Home and Away From Home, and Types of Food Products Consumed (frozen/fast Foods, Sodas, Salty Snacks, etc.) with BMI Scores.
- "Social capital of a sample of obese persons undergoing obesity treatment in an Italian hospital ward did not differ from that of the general Italian population and no association between the BMI of the obese patients and the characteristics of their social capital was found."
- "Despite health warnings about the direct relationship between illness and being overweight or obese, the results of the present study reveal fewer hospitalised patients in these BMI categories and more underweight patients than in the non-hospitalised general Australian population."
- High Dose of Radioactive Iodine Per Se Has No Effect on Glucose Metabolism in Thyroidectomized Rats.
- Inulin-type Fructans Have No Significant Beneficial Effects on Lipid or Glucose Metabolism.
- Emerging Roles of Xenobiotic Detoxification Enzymes in Metabolic Diseases.
- Diet Choice Patterns in Rodents Depend on Novelty of Diet, Exercise, Species, and Sex.
- Mangiferin, a Glucose Derivative Found in Mango Plants, Attenuates Adverse Skeletal Muscle Changes and Enhances Muscle Oxidative Capacity in Obese Rats.
- Mice Consuming a High Fat Diet Exhibit Increased Hepatotoxicity When Exposed to Inorganic Arsenic in Drinking Water.
- Adipocyte SIRT1 Controls Systemic Insulin Sensitivity By Modulating Macrophages in Adipose Tissue.
Scientific Rigor & Scholarly Dialogue
- Editorial: Inaccurate Results Published in the American Journal of Epidemiology and the American Journal of Public Health.
- Correction of Selection Bias in Survey Data: Is the Statistical Cure Worse than the Bias?
- Response To: Correction of Selection Bias in Survey Data: Is the Statistical Cure Worse than the Bias?
- Journal flags paper "Melanin-concentrating hormone induces insulin resistance through a mechanism independent of body weight gain."
- Registration Status and Methodological Reporting of RCTs in Obesity Research: A Review. (PDF)
- Interactive Health Apps May Inspire Healthy Behaviors, but Watch the Tone.
- Traditional Chinese Northern and Modern Dietary Patterns Were Associated with Lower Sleep Problems in Adults.
- Bariatric Surgery is Associated with Reduced Risk of Overall Female-specific Cancer.
- Examining the Relationship Between Group Member Gender, Gender Composition, and Outcomes of Weight Management Therapy Groups.
- Association of Insulin Dosage with Mortality or Major Adverse Cardiovascular Events: A Retrospective Cohort Study.
- Wearable/disposable Sweat-based Glucose Monitoring Device with Multistage Transdermal Drug Delivery Module.
- RCT: Behavioral Interventions for Veterans with Mental Illness and Antipsychotic Medication-Associated Obesity.
Children and Adolescents
- Growth Trajectories of BMI During Childhood: Associated Factors and Health Outcome at Adulthood.
- Two Pilot RCTs: Feasibility and Impact of Treated Parents as Peer Interventionists in Family-Based Pediatric Weight Management.
- Parental/Caregiver Chronic Stress is Associated with Youth Obesity in Hispanic/Latino Sample.
- The Effectiveness and Promising Strategies of Obesity Prevention and Treatment Programmes Among Adolescents From Disadvantaged Backgrounds: A Systematic Review.
- The Effect of a Muscle Weight-Bearing and Aerobic Exercise Program on the Body Composition, Muscular Strength, Biochemical Markers, and Bone Mass of Obese Patients Who Have Undergone Gastric Bypass Surgery.
- Impact of Bariatric Surgery on Heme Oxygenase-1, Inflammation, and Insulin Resistance in Morbid Obesity with Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
- What Bariatric Surgery Can Teach Us About Endoluminal Treatment of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders.
- RCT: Beloranib for the Treatment of Hypothalamic Injury-Associated Obesity.
- RCT: Effects of Once-weekly Semaglutide on Appetite, Energy Intake, Control of Eating, Food Preference and Body Weight in Subjects with Obesity.
- Effects of Vildagliptin and Metformin on Blood Pressure and Heart Rate Responses to Small Intestinal Glucose in Type 2 Diabetes.
- Differential Metabolic Effects of Beta-Blockers: An Updated Systematic Review of Nebivolol.
- Lipase Inhibitory Activity of Lagenaria Siceraria Fruit as a Strategy to Treat Obesity.
- Differential Representation of Liver Proteins in Obese Human Subjects Suggests Novel Biomarkers and Promising Targets for Drug Development in Obesity.
- A Short History of the 5-HT2C Receptor: From the Choroid Plexus to Depression, Obesity and Addiction Treatment.
- Adipocyte-Specific Enhancement of Angiotensin II Type 1 Receptor-Associated Protein Ameliorates Diet-Induced Visceral Obesity and Insulin Resistance.
Food & Diet
- RCT: The effect of three different ad libitum diets for weight loss maintenance.
- The DASH Diet, 20 Years Later.
- RCT: Resistant Starch Lowers Postprandial Glucose and Leptin in Overweight Adults Consuming a Moderate-to-high-fat Diet.
- RCT: Consuming Yellow Pea Fiber Reduces Voluntary Energy Intake and Body Fat in Overweight/obese Adults.
- Associations of Gluten Intake with Type 2 Diabetes Risk and Weight Gain in Three Large Prospective Cohort Studies of US Men and Women.
- RCT: Substituting Whole Grains for Refined Grains Favorably Affects Energy-balance Metrics in Healthy Men and Postmenopausal Women.
- RCT: Effects of Interpretive Nutrition Labels on Consumer Food Purchases.
- Too Much Sugar and Too Few Nuts?
- Microbes and Diet-Induced Obesity: Fast, Cheap, and Out of Control.
- One-year Calorie Restriction Impacts Gut Microbial Composition but Not Its Metabolic Performance in Obese Adolescents.
- Persistence of Weight Loss and Acquired Behaviors 2 Y After Stopping a 2-y Calorie Restriction Intervention.
- Acute Caloric Restriction Counteracts Hepatic Bile Acid and Cholesterol Deficiency in Morbid Obesity.
Exercise & Physical Activity
- Is Sedentary Behaviour Unhealthy and If So, Does Reducing It Improve This?
- Review: The Impact of Interventions that Integrate Accelerometers on Physical Activity and Weight Loss.
Economics & Sociology
- Gender Disparities in the Food Insecurity–Overweight and Food Insecurity–Obesity Paradox Among Low-Income Older Adults.
- Socioeconomic Status as a Moderator Between Social Cognitions and Physical Activity: Systematic Review and Meta-analysis Based on the Theory of Planned Behavior.
- Genetics of Type 2 Diabetes in U.S. Hispanic/Latino Individuals: Results From the Hispanic Community Health Study/Study of Latinos (HCHS/SOL).
- "Obesity and overweight are associated with lower risk of active TB."
- Changes in Health Behaviors and the Trajectory of BMI Among Older Japanese: A 19-year Longitudinal Study.
Psychology & Neuroscience
- Meta-analysis: Behavioral Strategies Improve Adherence to Lifestyle Interventions in Adults with Obesity.
- Body Image and Dissatisfaction Among Rural Deep South African American Women in a Weight Loss Intervention.
- High BMI is Associated with Impaired Cognitive Control.
- Perceived Weight Discrimination is Associated with Higher Odds of Being Inactive.
- Obese Adolescents Show Reduced Cognitive Processing Speed Compared with Healthy Weight Peers.
- Identifying the Mechanisms Through Which Behavioral Weight-loss Treatment Improves Food Decision-making in Obesity.
Equity and Disparities
- Health Equity and the Fallacy of Treating Causes of Population Health as If They Sum to 100%.
- Identifying Equity-focused Interventions to Promote Healthy Weights. (PDF)
- Study Identifies African-specific Genomic Variant Associated with Obesity.
- Association Between Perceived Weight Discrimination and Physical Activity: A Population-based Study Among English Middle-aged and Older Adults.
- Instagram Use and Young Women’s Body Image Concerns and Self-objectification: Testing Mediational Pathways.
- The Relationship Between Cyberbullying and Friendship Dynamics on Adolescent Body Dissatisfaction: A Cross-sectional Study.
- Interview: Dr Fatima Cody Stanford Explains How Obesity Stigma Creates Vicious Cycle.
- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy for Weight Self-Stigma Through Guided Self-Help.
- Book: Fat Planet - Obesity, Culture, and Symbolic Body Capital.
- Green Space and Adult Obesity in the United States.
- Association of a Community Campaign for Better Beverage Choices with Beverage Purchases From Supermarkets.
- Unhealthful Food-and-Beverage Advertising in Subway Stations: Targeted Marketing, Vulnerable Groups, Dietary Intake, and Poor Health.
- Balancing Upstream and Downstream Measures to Tackle the Obesity Epidemic: A Position Statement From the European Association for the Study of Obesity.
- Meta-analysis: The Prospective Impact of Food Pricing on Improving Dietary Consumption.
- Associations Between Maternal Body Composition and Appetite Hormones and Macronutrients in Human Milk.
- In Utero Exposure to Maternal Hyperglycemia Increases Childhood Cardiometabolic Risk in Offspring.
- Exercise Rescues Obese Mothers’ Insulin Sensitivity, Placental Hypoxia and Male Offspring Insulin Sensitivity.
- Review: The Potential Impact of Animal Science Research on Global Maternal and Child Nutrition and Health.
Ecology, Evolution, & Energetics
- Avian Athletes.
- Embryos of Non-native Anoles are Robust to Urban Thermal Environments.
- Neanderthal Behaviour, Diet, and Disease Inferred From Ancient DNA in Dental Calculus.
- A Novel Technique for the Precise Measurement of CO2 Production Rate in Small Aquatic Organisms as Validated on Aeshnid Dragonfly Nymphs.
- Swimming and Diving Energetics in Dolphins: A Stroke-by-stroke Analysis for Predicting the Cost of Flight Responses in Wild Odontocetes.
- BMI Z-Scores are a Poor Indicator of Adiposity Among 2- to 19-year-olds with Very High BMIs, NHANES 1999-2000 to 2013-2014.
- Review: Registration Status and Methodological Reporting of RCTs in Obesity Research.
- Relation Between Brown Adipose Tissue and Measures of Obesity and Metabolic Dysfunction in Patients with Cardiovascular Disease.
- Math Matters: How Misinterpretation of Odds Ratios and Risk Ratios May Influence Conclusions.
Mathematical and Quantitative
- Face-to-BMI: Using Computer Vision to Infer BMI on Social Media.
- Evaluation of Machine Learning Methods to Predict Coronary Artery Disease Using Metabolomic Data.
- Diet and Truth: Tales of Dogma, or Data?
- Drink More Water, Lose More Weight?
- Salt Intake: Taking Advice with a Proverbial Grain of Salt (Is There a Salt Stepping for Optimal Health?).
- Cardiologist Says New Evidence Fails to Support Many Major Diet Recommendations.
- Novel Paradigms of Salt and Hypertension.
- 7 Major Experiments that Still Haven’t Found What They’re Looking For.
- Fundamental Theorems of Evolution.
- Reader Beware: Science Covered in the News is Pretty Likely to Be Overturned.
- Glycogen Synthase Kinase 3 Regulates Photic Signaling in the Suprachiasmatic Nucleus.
- Video: 17th Annual Sackler Lecture: The Challenge of Reproducibility in the Biomedical Sciences.
- Audio: Effects of Global Warming on Display in Antarctica.
- Vitamin D Signaling and Melanoma: Role of Vitamin D and Its Receptors in Melanoma Progression and Management.
- Predicting the Distribution of Sasquatch in Western North America: Anything Goes with Ecological Niche Modelling.
- Meta-analytical Methods to Identify Who Benefits Most From Treatments: Daft, Deluded, or Deft Approach?
- ASU Research Studying Reasons for Bee Population Decline.
- How to Super-size Your Memory, According to Science.
- Why Evolution is Ageist: Genetic Mutation Changes From Adaptive to Dangerous After Reproductive Age.
- Effect of Cruciferous Vegetable Intake on Oxidative Stress Biomarkers: Differences By Breast Cancer Status.
- B Vitamins Attenuate the Epigenetic Effects of Ambient Fine Particles in a Pilot Human Intervention Trial.
- Cooling to Absolute Zero Mathematically Outlawed After a Century.
Video & Audio
- Birmingham: With Revitalized Neighborhoods and a Ramped-up Food Culture, Alabama’s Largest City Boldly Returns to the Stage and Sings to a Bigger Audience.
- Online Zebrafish Husbandry Education Training at UAB.
- Webinar: What Does Evidence-Based Mean for Nutrition Educators?
- MARCH GUIRR WEBINAR: Women, Minorities, and Persons with Disabilities in Science and Engineering.
- UAB's Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) invites you to join us at our NIH-funded short course on “The Mathematical Sciences in Obesity".
- UAB Invites You to Join Us at Our NIH-funded Short Course on “Strengthening Causal Inference in Behavioral Obesity Research;” Applications Due March 31st.
- UAB’s NORC seeks post-doctoral fellows in obesity research.