- HIV infection does not prevent the metabolic benefits of diet-induced weight loss in women with obesity.
- Pharmacological Inhibition of C-Jun N-terminal Kinase Reduces Food Intake and Sensitizes Leptin's Anorectic Signaling Actions.
- Feeding-Related Traits are Affected By Dosage of the Foraging Gene in Drosophila Melanogaster.
Headline vs Study
- Headline: Fed Up of Dieting or Pills? The Wonder Drug Can Help You to Combat Obesity with Brown Good Fat.
- Headline: Combating Obesity: This Drug Produces 'Brown Fat' that Burns Calories.
- Study: Brown Adipogenic Reprogramming Induced By a Small Molecule... In Mice and Cell Culture.
Contrary or Null Findings
- Family Meal Frequency Was Not Associated with Odds of Obesity.
- "In this cohort study of former university students, being overweight in youth did not confer protection against later dementia death."
- "Antioxidant supplementation with or without calorie restriction had no significant effect on the serum isoprostane level in any group" of rats.
- "The preference of patients to participate in home-based and centre-based exercise programmes appears to be equivalent and provides similar health benefits."
- RCT: "This study suggests that rimonabant CB-I blockade paradoxically raised VEGF and the cytokine IL-8 in obese women with PCOS that may have offset the potential benefit associated with weight loss."
- RCT: "Participant-selected music did not increase the proportion of participants achieving recommended amounts of physical activity..."
- "There were no significant associations between food security level and weight classification."
- "Overall, no strong relationship between whole grain intake, measured from questionnaires or using biomarkers was found in relation to changes in body weight and WC."
- Sex Differences in the Impact of the Suboptimal American Diet in Rats: Effects on Behavior, Physiology and Recovery.
- Mammary Alveolar Epithelial Cells Convert to Brown Adipocytes in Post-lactating Mice.
- Metabolic Syndrome Causes Recognition Memory Impairments and Reduces Hippocampal Neuronal Plasticity in Rats Fed a High-Calorie Diet.
- Regular Physical Activity in Rats Fed a High-Sugar Diet Prevents Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Alterations in Glucometabolic Parameters.
- Dietary Supplementation of Monounsaturated and N-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids Reverses Immune Dysfunction and Increased Oxidative Stress in Mice with Diet-Induced Obesity.
- Lipid Overload During Gestation and Lactation Can Independently Alter Lipid Homeostasis in Offspring and Promote Metabolic Impairment After New Challenge to High-fat Diet.
- An Exercise-Only Intervention in Obese Fathers Restores Glucose and Insulin Regulation in Conjunction with the Rescue of Pancreatic Islet Cell Morphology and MicroRNA Expression in Male Offspring.
- CTRP7 Deletion Attenuates Obesity-linked Glucose Intolerance, Adipose Tissue Inflammation, and Hepatic Stress.
- Glucoraphanin Ameliorates Obesity and Insulin Resistance Through Adipose Tissue Browning and Reduction of Metabolic Endotoxemia in Mice.
- Functional Genomics Analysis of Vitamin D Effects on CD4+ T Cells in Vivo in Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis.
Scientific Rigor & Scholarly Dialogue
- In Search for the Fountain of Youth, a Lesson in Doing Good Science.
- Response to Letter to the Editor entitled Oxidative Stress Participates in the Associations Between Serum Uric Acid and Albuminuria in Obesity.
- RCT: Impact on Psychosocial Outcomes of a Nationally Available Weight Management Program Tailored for Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes.
- Effect of Lifestyle Interventions on Glucose Regulation Among Adults Without Impaired Glucose Tolerance or Diabetes: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
- RCT: Prebiotic Supplementation Improves Appetite Control in Children with Overweight and Obesity.
- Resist Diabetes: An RCT for Resistance Training Maintenance in Adults with Prediabetes.
Children and Adolescents
- Early Infant Growth Velocity Patterns and Cardiovascular and Metabolic Outcomes in Childhood.
- Determinants of Adiposity Rebound Timing in Children.
- Effect of Weight Loss on Puberty Onset in Overweight Children.
- Promoting Social Nurturance and Positive Social Environments to Reduce Obesity in High-Risk Youth.
- Association of Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes Diagnosed During Childhood and Adolescence with Complications During Teenage Years and Young Adulthood.
- Self-Reported Hedonism Predicts 12-Month Weight Loss After Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass.
- Does Bariatric Surgery Improve Assisted Reproductive Technology Outcomes in Obese Infertile Women?
- The Utility of Diagnostic Laparoscopy in Post-Bariatric Surgery Patients with Chronic Abdominal Pain of Unknown Etiology.
- Liraglutide for Obesity Looking Like Diabetes Prevention.
- Connection of Nicotine to Diet-Induced Obesity and Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease: Cellular and Mechanistic Insights.
Food & Diet
- Sugar Swap: Human Brain Converts Glucose Into Fructose.
- RCT: Effect of Fibre Supplementation on Body Weight and Composition, Frequency of Eating and Dietary Choice in Overweight Individuals.
- Physical and Social Determinants of Dietary Variety Among Older Adults Living Alone in Japan.
- Acute Ghrelin Changes Food Preference From High Fat Diet to Chow During Binge-like Eating in Rodents.
- Carbon Dioxide in Carbonated Beverages Induces Ghrelin Release and Increased Food Consumption in Male Rats: Implications on the Onset of Obesity.
- Total and Subtypes of Dietary Fat Intake and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus in the Prevención Con Dieta Mediterránea (PREDIMED) Study.
- Impact of Food Supplementation on Weight Loss in Randomised-controlled Dietary Intervention Trials: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
- RCT: Time-restricted Feeding on Weekdays Restricts Weight Gain.
- RCT: Effects of Twelve Weeks of Capsaicinoid Supplementation on Body Composition, Appetite and Self-reported Caloric Intake in Overweight Individuals.
- Intake of Up to 3 Eggs Per Day is Associated with Changes in HDL Function and Increased Plasma Antioxidants in Healthy, Young Adults.
- Body-composition Changes in the Comprehensive Assessment of Long-term Effects of Reducing Intake of Energy (CALERIE)-2 Study: A 2-y RCT of Calorie Restriction in Nonobese Humans.
- Nutrition, Metabolism, and Targeting Aging in Nonhuman Primates.
- Protective Effects of Short-term Dietary Restriction in Surgical Stress and Chemotherapy.
- Reduced Skeletal Muscle Fiber Size Following Caloric Restriction is Associated with Calpain-mediated Proteolysis and Attenuation of IGF-1 Signaling.
Exercise & Physical Activity
- Physical Inactivity, Obesity, and Type 2 Diabetes: An Evolutionary Perspective.
- Physical Activity, Sedentary Behavior and Their Correlates in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder: A Systematic Review.
- High-Intensity Aerobic Exercise Improves Both Hepatic Fat Content and Stiffness in Sedentary Obese Men with Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.
- Cross-sectional: Associations Between Physical Activity and BMI, Body Fatness, and Visceral Adiposity in Overweight or Obese Latino and Non-Latino Adults.
Economics & Sociology
- Socioeconomic Status and Youth Physical Fitness: Evidence From an Upper-Middle Income Country.
- The Association Between Social Cohesion in the Neighborhood and BMI.
- The Economics of Obesity (book).
- Is Waist Circumference = 102/88 Cm Better than BMI = 30 to Predict Hypertension and Diabetes Development Regardless of Gender, Age Group, and Race/ethnicity? Meta-analysis.
- The Intergenerational Transmission of BMI Across Countries.
- Predictors of BMI Vary Along the BMI Range of German Adults - Results of the German National Nutrition Survey II.
- BMI and the Risk of Infection - From Underweight to Obesity.
- BMI, Waist Circumference, and Mortality in a Large Multiethnic Postmenopausal Cohort.
- Cluster RCT: Cafeteria-based Fruit Promoting Intervention Increases Fruit Selection and Consumption in Middle Schools.
- Food Cravings Mediates the Effect of Impulsivity on BMI.
- Association Between Early Adversity and Young Adults’ Diabetes Outcomes.
- Higher Parental Control Over Food Choice is Associated with Lower Adiposity.
- Food Addiction in Children: Associations with Obesity, Parental Food Addiction and Feeding Practices.
Equity and Disparities
- National Disparities in Colorectal Cancer Screening Among Obese Adults.
- Racial differences in crossing major growth percentiles in infancy.
- Weight-related Stigma and Health Policy.
- Disturbing Appetites: Food, Fatness, and 1980s American Culture in Stephen King's Thinner.
- Assessment of Weight Stigma Among Weight Loss Participants.
- Seeing Overweight Adults as Babies: Physical Cues and Implications for Stigmatization.
- Prevalence of Dieting and Fear of Weight Gain Across Ages: A Community Sample From Adolescents to the Elderly.
- Evidence-based Policies on School Nutrition and Physical Education: Associations with State-level Collaboration, Obesity, and Socio-economic Indicators.
- As Obesity Rises, Remote Pacific Islands Plan to Abandon Junk Food.
- Public Reaction to the UK Government Strategy on Childhood Obesity in England.
- The Obesity Prevention Initiative: A Statewide Effort to Improve Child Health in Wisconsin.
- In Mexico, Evidence of Sustained Consumer Response Two Years After Implementing a Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Tax.
- Sex-specific, Male-line Transgenerational Responses in Humans.
- RCT: Infant Adiposity Following a Behavioural Intervention in Obese Pregnancy.
- Modification of the Fatty Acid Composition of an Obesogenic Diet Improves the Maternal and Placental Metabolic Environment in Obese Pregnant Mice.
- Preliminary Validation of a Real Time Location System to Monitor Everyday Activities in Natural Contexts.
- Unobtrusive and Wearable Systems for Automatic Dietary Monitoring.
- Image-based Dietary Assessment Ability of Dietetics Students and Interns.
- Using Agent-based Models to Develop Public Policy About Food Behaviours: Future Directions and Recommendations.
- Comparison of Associations of DXA and CT Visceral Adipose Tissue Measures with Insulin Resistance, Lipid Levels, and Inflammatory Markers.
- Calibration of Context-specific Survey Items to Assess Youth Physical Activity Behaviour.
- A Prescription with Legs. Can a Written Step-count Prescription From Your Physician Actually Make You Healthier?
- The Fasting and the Furious.
- Do Morning People Have More Healthful Meals?
- A Conversation with Donna Ryan, MD.
- TOS Fellow Spotlight: A Conversation with Steven B. Heymsfield, MD, FTOS.
- Is Sugar a Food or a Drug?
- Weight Management Clinic for the Treatment of a 14-Year-Old Female with Sudden Weight Gain.
- Obesity and Cortisol: New Perspectives on an Old Theme.
- Analysis of the Time and Workers Needed to Conduct Systematic Reviews of Medical Interventions Using Data From the PROSPERO Registry.
- Life Expectancy Study Suggests U.S. Will Lag Behind.
- Revamping the US Federal Common Rule - Modernizing Human Participant Research Regulations.
- Science, Lies and Video-taped Experiments.
- A Proposed World Council on Epidemiology and Causation: Summary of Feedback and Considerations in an International Workshop.
- Altruistic Aging: The Evolutionary Dynamics Balancing Longevity and Evolvability.
- The Effect of Body Mass on Outdoor Adult Human Decomposition.
- Vitamin D Receptor Regulates Autophagy in the Normal Mammary Gland and in Luminal Breast Cancer Cells.
- New Book: Nitrite and Nitrate in Human Health and Disease a Revolutionary Discussion of the Heart and Other Disease Implications of Nitric Oxide Deficiency.
Video & Audio
- Videos From Tech Summit: Innovative Tools for Assessing Diet & Physical Activity for Health Promotion.
- Upcoming WEBINAR: Comparative Analysis of Plasma Lipid Alterations Associated with Age and Dietary Restriction using Targeted MS and Untargeted LC-MS Lipidomics Approaches.
- 2017 Food Insecurity and Obesity Conference – July 17-18, 2017.
- AAAS and March for Science Partner to Uphold Science.
- Applications for the 2017 Canadian Obesity Summer School (formerly Bootcamp) is Now Open.
- UAB's Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) invites you to join us at our NIH-funded short course on “The Mathematical Sciences in Obesity;" Applications due March 3rd.
- UAB Invites You to Join Us at Our NIH-funded Short Course on “Strengthening Causal Inference in Behavioral Obesity Research;” Applications Due March 31st.
- National Academy of Sciences Sackler Colloquium “Reproducibility of Research: Issues and Proposed Remedies”, March 8 - 10, 2017.
- UAB’s NORC seeks post-doctoral fellows in obesity research.