- Fitness Facilities Still Lack Accessibility for People with Disabilities.
- Compensatory Changes in Energy Balance Regulation Over One Athletic Season.
- RCT: An Online Intervention Comparing a Very Low-Carbohydrate Ketogenic Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations Versus a Plate Method Diet in Overweight Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes.
- Serotonin-dependent Kinetics of Feeding Bursts Underlie a Graded Response to Food Availability in C. Elegans.
Headline vs Study
- Headline: Could This Be a Good Reason to Turn Vegan? Meat-eaters are TWICE as Likely to Get Diabetes.
- Study: Secondary Analysis of RCT Shows Some Positive, Null, and Negative Associations Among Saturated Fats, Animal Fats, and Specific Animal-derived Foods.
- Headline Commentary: One Serving of Butter Doubles Diabetes Risk? "Atrocious nutrition headlines are back."
Contrary or Null Findings
- "Using mobile technology shows no significant benefits for weight loss after 12 months."
- Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis: Previous School-based Physical Activity Interventions Targeting Adolescents Have Been Largely Unsuccessful.
- "Breathing rate did not influence specific food craving..."
- "While caregivers are important for weight management of adults with IDD, the caregiver's relationship to the participant does not affect weight change in an intervention."
- Diet Containing a High- Versus Low-daidzein Level Does Not Protect Against Liver Steatosis in the Obese Zucker Rat Model.
- "The predicted effects to raise body weights of Snord116del neonates with exogenous ghrelin were not observed, nor were effects on survival."
- No Effect of Dietary Aspartame or Stevia on Pancreatic Acinar Carcinoma Development, Growth, or Induced Mortality in a Murine Model.
- The Unhealthy Food Environment Does Not Modify the Association Between Obesity and Participation in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) in Los Angeles County.
- RCT: "In agreement with previous shorter studies, removal of the greater omentum in addition to GBP is not associated with metabolic benefits after long-term follow-up."
- Hawkmoths Use Nectar Sugar to Reduce Oxidative Damage From Flight.
- Purinergic Receptor 6 (P2Y6) Signaling in AgRP Neurons is Involved in the Onset of Obesity-Associated Hyperphagia and Systemic Insulin Resistance.
- Melatonin Regulates Lipid Metabolism in Porcine Ooctyes.
- Adipose-Derived Circulating MiRNAs Regulate Gene Expression in Other Tissues.
- Transforming Cancer Epigenetics Using Nutritive Approaches and Non-coding RNAs.
- Intrauterine Zika Virus Infection of Pregnant Immunocompetent Mice Models Transplacental Transmission and Adverse Perinatal Outcomes.
- "Global deletion of IP6K1 ameliorates obesity and insulin resistance irrespective of the environmental temperature conditions, which strengthens its validity as an anti-obesity target."
- Fibroblasts Become Fat to Reduce Scarring.
- Lipid Transport By TMEM24 at ER–plasma Membrane Contacts Regulates Pulsatile Insulin Secretion.
- 17a-Estradiol Alleviates Age-related Metabolic and Inflammatory Dysfunction in Male Mice Without Inducing Feminization.
Scientific Rigor & Scholarly Dialogue
- Alternative Interpretations of a Field Study.
- Letter Re: Self-weighing and Simple Dietary Advice for Overweight and Obese Pregnant Women to Reduce Obstetric Complications Without Impact on Quality of Life: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Authors' Reply Re: Self-weighing and Simple Dietary Advice for Overweight and Obese Pregnant Women to Reduce Obstetric Complications Without Impact on Quality of Life: A Randomized Controlled Trial.
- RCT: Consumption of Protein-enriched Milk Has Minor Effects on Inflammation in Older Adults.
- Behaviour Change Techniques Targeting Both Diet and Physical Activity in Type 2 Diabetes: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis.
- A Multicomponent, School-Based Intervention, the Shaping Healthy Choices Program, Improves Nutrition-Related Outcomes.
- Diet-induced Obesity Links to ER Positive Breast Cancer Progression Via LPA/PKD-1-CD36 Signaling-mediated Microvascular Remodeling.
- Obesity Paradox in Group 1 Pulmonary Hypertension: Analysis of the NIH-pulmonary Hypertension Registry.
- Hair Cortisol and Adiposity in a Population-based Sample of 2,527 Men and Women Aged 54 to 87 Years.
Children and Adolescents
- Feeding Guidelines for Infants and Young Toddlers: A Responsive Parenting Approach.
- Use of Appreciative Inquiry to Engage Parents as Codesigners of a Weight Management Intervention for Adolescents.
- Ethnic Differences in Lipid Profiles of Overweight, Obese, and Severely Obese Children and Adolescents 6–19 Years of Age.
- RCT: Evaluating a School-Based Intervention for Body Image Among Adolescent Girls and Boys.
- Neurologic Manifestations of Vitamin B Deficiency After Bariatric Surgery.
- Preservation of Fat-Free Mass After Bariatric Surgery: Our Point of View.
- Bariatric Surgery Versus Intensive Medical Therapy for Diabetes - 5-Year Outcomes.
- Review: Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery for Obesity.
- Laparoscopic Roux-en-y Gastric Bypass Vs. Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy for Morbid Obesity: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Lipid Effects at One Year Post-surgery.
- "Preoperative testing for and eradication of H. pylori prior to bariatric surgery may be an important preventive measure to reduce the incidence of ulcer development."
- Intranasal Glucagon for Severe Hypoglycemia.
- Long-Term Testosterone Therapy Improves Cardiometabolic Function and Reduces Risk of Cardiovascular Disease in Men with Hypogonadism.
- Impact of Hormonal Contraception and Weight Loss on HDL-C Efflux and Lipoprotein Particles in Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.
Food & Diet
- Perspective: Some Causal and Priority Language About Food Energy Supply as the Sufficient Cause of the Obesity Pandemic is Premature or Incorrect.
- RCT: Substituting Whole Grains for Refined Grains for 6-wk Favorably Affects Energy-balance Metrics in Healthy Men and Postmenopausal Women.
- RCT: High-Protein and High-Dietary-Fiber Breakfasts Result in Equal Feelings of Fullness and Better Diet Quality in Low-Income Preschoolers Compared with Their Usual Breakfast.
- The Differential Effects of High-fat and High-fructose Diets on Physiology and Behavior in Male Rats.
- "The anti-obesity effect of capsaicin is associated with a modest modulation of the gut microbiota."
- RCT: "Incorporating prebiotics into the diet through supplements or functional foods may help mitigate some markers of obesity-associated inflammation."
- Effects of Calorie Restriction on the Lifespan and Healthspan of POLG Mitochondrial Mutator Mice.
- The Effects of Graded Levels of Calorie Restriction: VIII. Impact of Short Term Calorie and Protein Restriction on Basal Metabolic Rate in the C57BL/6 Mouse.
- Fasting-mimicking Diet and Markers/risk Factors for Aging, Diabetes, Cancer, and Cardiovascular Disease.
- A Screening Strategy for the Discovery of Drugs that Reduce C/EBPß-LIP Translation with Potential Calorie Restriction Mimetic Properties.
- "Cycles of a 5-day fasting-mimicking diet are safe, feasible, and effective in reducing markers/risk factors for aging and age-related diseases."
- Calorie Restriction Promotes Cardiolipin Biosynthesis and Distribution Between Mitochondrial Membranes.
Exercise & Physical Activity
- Why Intensity is Not a Bad Word: Optimizing Health Status at Any Age.
- RCT: "The addition of liraglutide to exercise in sedentary patients with dysregulated type 2 diabetes may blunt the suggested beneficial effect of exercise on left ventricular diastolic function."
- RCT: "Effects of Different Types of Exercise on Body Composition, Muscle Strength, and IGF-1 in the Elderly with Sarcopenic Obesity".
- A Critical Narrative Analysis of the Perspectives of Physical Trainers and Fitness Instructors in Relation to Their Body Image, Professional Practice and the Consumer Culture.
Economics & Sociology
- Children’s Sugar-sweetened Beverages Consumption: Associations with Family and Home-related Factors, Differences Within Ethnic Groups Explored.
- Exploring Racial Disparity in Obesity: A Mediation Analysis Considering Geo-coded Environmental Factors.
- The Burden of Obesity on Diabetes in the United States: Medical Expenditure Panel Survey, 2008 to 2012.
- QuickStats: Percentage* of Total Daily Kilocalories† Consumed From Sugar-Sweetened Beverages§ Among Children and Adults, By Sex and Income Level¶ — National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, United States, 2011–2014.
- Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease and Measures of Early Brain Health in Middle-aged Adults: The CARDIA Study.
- Epigenetic Clock Analysis of Diet, Exercise, Education, and Lifestyle Factors.
- Risk of Death is Higher in Subjects with Low Lean Mass (LLM) than with LLM and Obesity: Results From the 1999–2004 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.
- Meta-analysis: Effects of Weight Loss Interventions Delivered Via Mobile Phones.
- Perceived Eating Norms Influence Children's Vegetable Consumption.
- Monetary Incentives Increase Motivation to Consume and Consumption of Fruits and Vegetables.
- Infant Weight Velocity and Exclusive Formula-feeding Predict Food Cue Responsivity.
- Greater Cumulative Exposure to Rurality is Associated with Obesity.
- Restrained Eating and Food Cues: Recent Findings and Conclusions.
Equity and Disparities
- Household Adversity and Food Security: The Case of Youth in Public Housing Neighborhoods.
- Racial/ethnic and Weight Status Disparities in Dieting and Disordered Weight Control Behaviors Among Early Adolescents.
- "increasing obesity was associated with reduced hospice use and in-home death and higher Medicare expenditures in the last 6 months of life."
- Review: Targeted Mass Media Interventions Promoting Healthy Behaviours to Reduce Risk of Non-communicable Diseases in Adult, Ethnic Minorities.
- Review: Cardiovascular Disease in Sexual Minorities.
- Effects of Metabolically Healthy and Unhealthy Obesity on Prolongation of Corrected QT Interval.
- Weight Stigma Facilitates Unhealthy Eating and Weight Gain.
- Weight Self-Perception and Blood Pressure in Adolescents with Overweight and Obesity.
- Anticipated and Experienced Stigma Can Contribute to Self-stigma.
- Commentary: The Effect of Words on Health and Diabetes.
- RCT: "Effects of Obesity-Related Health Messages on Explicit and Implicit Weight Bias".
- "We need more reverence for evidence in our policy making" - Testimony of Rush Holt.
- Beyond Carrots and Sticks: Europeans Support Health Nudges.
- Maternal Obesity and Major Intraoperative Complications During Cesarean Delivery.
- Fructose in Breast Milk is Positively Associated with Infant Body Composition at 6 Months of Age.
- Gene Expression and Epigenetic Aberrations in F1 Placentas Fathered By Obese Males.
Ecology, Evolution, & Energetics
- Sweet Relief for Pollinators.
- Endocrine Regulation of Fueling By Hyperphagia in Migratory Birds.
- Simultaneously Occurring Elevated Metabolic States Expose Constraints in Maximal Levels of Oxygen Consumption in the Oviparous Snake Lamprophis Fuliginosus.
- Innovative Techniques for Evaluating Behavioral Nutrition Interventions.
- Comparison of 3D Laser-based Photonic Scans and Manual Anthropometric Measurements of Body Size and Shape in a Validation Study of 123 Young Swiss Men.
- Validity of Proxy-reported Height and Weight to Derive BMI in Adults Participating in Special Olympics.
- Hypoxia Enhances the Wound-healing Potential of Adipose-derived Stem Cells in a Novel Human Primary Keratinocyte-based Scratch Assay.
- The Race to Map the Human Body — One Cell at a Time.
Mathematical and Quantitative
- Obesity Energetics: Body Weight Regulation and the Effects of Diet Composition.
- Understanding the MTOR Signaling Pathway Via Mathematical Modeling.
- Family Environment and Childhood Obesity: A New Framework with Structural Equation Modeling.
- International Experts Call Salt Guidelines Far Too Restrictive.
- "Fat-shaming columnist gets booted from Fergus Falls newspaper."
- Truth, & the Tribulations of Randomized Diet Trials.
- How Close are We to Defining Sustainable Eating Patterns?
- Why Exercise is Not Enough to Prevent Weight Gain.
- Should We Treat Obesity Like a Contagious Disease?
- The Pain of Obesity.
- Is Obesity a Disease? Do the Math.
- Potential Deaths Averted and Serious Adverse Events Incurred From Adoption of the SPRINT Intensive Blood Pressure Regimen in the U.S.: Projections From NHANES.
- Acknowledging and Overcoming Nonreproducibility in Basic and Preclinical Research.
- Does Evidence-based Hearsay Determine the Use of Medical Treatments?
- Early-life Stress in Male Mice Induces Increased Vascular Oxidative Stress in Adulthood.
- Reporting Bias Inflates the Reputation of Medical Treatments: A Comparison of Outcomes in Clinical Trials and Online Product Reviews.
- Tracking Retractions as a Window Into the Scientific Process “I Placed Too Much Faith in Underpowered Studies:” Nobel Prize Winner Admits Mistakes.
- Healthy People 2020 Midcourse Review.
Video & Audio
- Videos Available for Talks at ILSI 2017 Annual Meeting.
- EconTalk Episode with Gary Taubes - Gary Taubes on the Case Against Sugar.
- Audio: The Body’s Sense of Taste.
- Video: State of the Science of Energy Balance Research Across the Lifespan (focus on Measurement).
- Book: The Hungry Brain: Outsmarting the Instincts that Make Us Overeat.
- UAB's Nutrition Obesity Research Center (NORC) invites you to join us at our NIH-funded short course on “The Mathematical Sciences in Obesity;" Applications due March 3rd.
- UAB Invites You to Join Us at Our NIH-funded Short Course on “Strengthening Causal Inference in Behavioral Obesity Research;” Applications Due March 31st.
- National Academy of Sciences Sackler Colloquium “Reproducibility of Research: Issues and Proposed Remedies”, March 8 - 10, 2017.
- UAB’s NORC seeks post-doctoral fellows in obesity research.